Friday, June 3, 2016

Kaleb Starr







"I remember my Mother buying me a Polaroid 600 when I was around 8 years old.
 I would use it and her video camera to capture elaborate sets with my action figures and random household items. At any point in my life since then, I've always seemed to have a camera nearby, but it wasn't until about 2011 when I really began to take it seriously as a creative outlet and potential income producer."







"I grew up on the boarder of Pennsylvania & Ohio. 
Shortly after (quitting) high school,I made my way to Central Florida and "The World's Most Famous Beach" where I still live to this day. Currently, I work for myself and a local startup, Bloom Branding,  as a a freelance photographer/videographer. "









"I believe there is something magical about freezing time around a particular subject. That one moment, when captured, will never exist again, ever. I hate to say that I love the thought of stealing these moments, because that sounds slightly sociopathic and mildly creepy, but the idea of plucking an individual face/moment from the the constant moving flow of time, setting it aside, and altering/manipulating it as I please, and then throwing back into the proverbial sea of existence... "












" To me, the most important thing is to stay true to myself.  
I try and not let what’s “in” or “played out” affect how I see my world and photograph it.  If it’s something I want to capture, then I capture it.  Outside influences can greatly inspire, but at the same time ruin the creative process if one gets too hung up on what others’ will think."





















"With these photographs, the way I shot my subjects was more purposeful.
 I tried to go back to the basics of what I knew of photography; strong dramatic lighting, a more thought-out approach compositionally, and taking a more directorial stance on what I wanted (or didn’t want) in my frame."





















"I wanted these to be strong in terms of how my subjects occupied the frame. 
 I guess they can be looked at as a more “professional” approach, and similar to how I go about photographing for clients.  It’s a more classic and direct portraiture based way of shooting. I’m actually very inspired by “baroque” art, in particular the posing of the subjects along with using light as a hugely dominant tool to capture and express a certain feeling."





































"It’s ok to not “love” or even like my own work.  


One can’t and won’t grow artistically if they stay in a state of satisfaction."




(Interview by Carli Rentsch)

No comments:

Post a Comment